Mentorships offer writers the opportunity to work with an experienced author or industry professional on a one-to-one basis. Writers Victoria’s mentors can help you with all aspects of the craft and business of writing. We work with a team of authors, editors and writing tutors to make sure you are matched with a mentor with expertise in your area.
What is a Writing Mentorship?
Mentorships offer writers the opportunity to work with an experienced author or industry professional on a one-to-one basis. Our mentors can help you with all aspects of the craft and business of writing, provide assistance in setting goals, using time effectively, keeping motivated, retaining focus, building confidence, and developing strengths.
Writers Victoria works with a team of authors, editors and writing tutors to make sure you are matched with a mentor with expertise in your area. You can find a list of some of our current mentors on our website here. This mentor list isn’t exhaustive. Looking for support in a genre not listed? After reading a sample of your work, we will match you with a suitable mentor.
What to Expect
Mentorships take place in two stages:
- Initial Mentor Meeting (90 minutes, from $440)
We will book a meeting with the mentor of your choice. Your mentor will read a sample of your writing before you meet. Your initial meeting will include a discussion about your work and situation. Some mentees find that this initial meeting provides them with the feedback they were looking for, but the meeting can also include a discussion about the ways that an ongoing mentorship could benefit you, as well as establishing whether there is a rapport between mentor and writer.
- Ongoing Mentorship (6-hour blocks, from $735)
If you and your mentor agree to move forward, we will ask you to pre-pay for each six-hour block of mentoring, which includes reading and meeting time. You will confirm details and meeting times directly with your mentor, and can continue to renew at the end of each six-hour time period. The six hours can be divided up however you and your mentor wish (six meetings of one hour, or three meetings of two hours, etc.)
Please note that mentors are unable to read your entire manuscript, assess or edit your manuscript, or approach publishers or agents on your behalf.
Writers Victoria also offers Business Advice Meetings for writers looking for advice on the business of writing:
- Business Advice Meeting (60 minutes, from $210)
Our business support mentors offer advice on issues such as navigating the Australian book trade, how to identify and approach publishers, and the logistics of the writing business (including ISBNs, barcodes, selling rights, and royalties).
Terms and Conditions
- Please allow up to five business days for a response to your application.
- Copyright of the work developed remains with the writer at all times.
- After an Initial Mentor Meeting, either the mentor or mentee can discontinue the process.
- Each six-hour block of mentoring must be used within six months.
- Mentors are unable to read your entire manuscript, assess or edit your manuscript, or approach publishers or agents on your behalf.
- Mentoring meetings must take place at the Wheeler Centre, by Skype, Zoom or phone (unless another neutral, professional space is agreed on in advance with Writers Victoria).
- Any further contact or mentoring between author and mentor must be arranged through Writers Victoria.
- The author’s copyright over their manuscript will be respected.
- Writers Victoria reserves the right to decline mentorships and payments at its sole discretion without further correspondence.
If you have any further questions about our mentorships, please get in touch on (03) 9917 8461 or contact us via email.