This workshop will be presented online. Detailed instructions for participation will be provided.
Included in this course:
- 2.5 hours of information, examples, writing tips, and exercises to explore surrealism and fabulism
- A suggested annotated reading list of excellent examples to explore and examine
- Writing exercises to help hone your craft and reinforce your new skills
- 1 hour interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and skills extension
- Personalised feedback on a piece of writing up to 500 words
You will learn:
The principles and limitations of realist writing
Theories of surrealism, fabulism, magic realism, the gothic, speculative fiction and unconscious writing
To construct symbolic and dream logic to create believable worlds
Writing techniques designed to bypass the conscious mind and develop your own non-realism
To connect with the joy of imaginative writing, with the playful, the bizarre, the shocking, the fantastic, the weird!
Schedule for the Day:
- 10 - 11:15am: First webinar with Rjurik Davidson
- 11:45am - 1pm: Second webinar with Rjurik Davidson
- 3 - 4pm: Interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and more casual instructions based on your experiences
- 500-word pieces to be sent to Rjurik for feedback by Friday 19 June.
About Rjurik Davidson
Rjurik Davidson is a writer, editor and speaker. Chicago Review of Books recommended Rjurik’s latest novel, The Stars Askew as one of the best 10 SF novels to read over the 2016 summer and Pop Mythology said it "fleshes out his wonderfully bizarre world, a world that blends familiar elements of history and mythology in unique ways.” Rjurik is a former Associate Editor of Overland journal. He is at www.rjurik.com and tweets as @rjurikdavidson.
If you’re purchasing a full price workshop at $215, consider a full price one-year membership ($75) plus member-priced workshop ($155) will cost just $230 and give you discounts on all our services plus six free copies of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine.
And if you have a concession card, a one-year membership ($55) plus member-concession workshop ($135) will cost you only $190.