Writers Victoria is all about writing. With members throughout Victoria (and beyond), we are the state’s largest organisation supporting Victorian writers.
Writers Victoria supports and connects writers at all stages of development.
Writers Victoria is a not-for-profit incorporated association. According to our official Rules, the purposes of the association are:
- To contribute to and promote a literary culture that nurtures the talents of all writers – at a state and national level.
- To promote the rights and interests of writers.
- To foster a mutually supportive and connected community of writers.
- To provide information, advice, resources, referrals and advocacy for writers and the public about writers and writing.
- To provide training and professional development opportunities for writers.
- To provide support for all writers in Victoria.
- To increase the appreciation of reading.
Find out more about what it means to be part of an association.
What we do
For more than three decades, Writers Victoria has been a leading provider of information, resources and skills development for our members and the broader writing community.
Our annual program is developed in response to the needs of our members and participants. It includes a diverse range of professional development activities such as:
- Writing workshops, courses, masterclasses and industry events.
- Manuscript Assessment services for writers who are seeking an objective, professional appraisal of their work.
- Mentorship opportunities for early career and emerging writers to learn from an industry professional on a one-to-one basis.
- Regional professional development programs, bringing author tours, presentations and customised professional development events to regional audiences.
- The Victorian Writer magazine and enews featuring articles on all aspects of writing and publishing, up-to-date news and information on events and opportunities.
- Targeted projects with a range of partners and communities (such as our Write-ability program for writers with disability).
- Fellowships for emerging and established writers through the provision of free studio space, residential writing retreats, mentoring, national or international exchanges.
- Writers Studios offering secluded, dedicated and private writing spaces at subsidised rates (in partnership with the National Trust Victoria).
- Literary community events.
- Membership services and support.
- Information, advice and guidance from our experienced team, access to industry experts, website and blog.
- Space to write and be inspired in our library or meeting rooms with a great range of literary journals, writing-related reference books, books by members and books for sale.
- Sector development through the development of resources, capacity development through our program and partnership initiatives, as well as representation and advocacy on behalf of Victoria’s writing community.
Writers Victoria is a not-for-profit Incorporated Association that operates according to our official Rules.
Our strategic plan
WV’s current Strategic Plan outlines the vision and priorities of the organisation for 2021 to 2023.
Writers Victoria Incorporated
ABN: 18 268 487 576