The panel will discuss:
- Why the printing process for picture books determines the page length of the book.
- What the typical word count bands are for different age groups.
- How vocabulary level and length of a sentence corresponds to the age of younger readers.
- Reading upwards, in relation to the age of a book’s protagonist.
- The importance of writing (and rewriting) for reading aloud.
About Jane Godwin
Jane Godwin is an Australian children's book publisher and the highly acclaimed author of over 25 books for young readers, published nationally and internationally. A Queensland Premier's Award (Children's Books) winner, Jane has also shortlisted for several prestigious literary awards, including the CBCA Book of the Year Awards and the Prime Minister’s Literary Award. Jane's most recent picture book collaborations are ‘Go Go and the Silver Shoes’, ‘The Silver Sea’, and ‘Watch This!’. Jane’s new novel, ‘As Happy as Here’, will be published by Hachette in August 2019.
About Ailsa Wild
Ailsa Wild is an acrobat, whip cracker and teaching artist who ran away from the circus to do a Masters in Creative Writing at RMIT. Her ‘Squishy Taylor’ series was her first foray into the world of junior fiction. Ailsa has also collaborated on the graphic novel, ‘The Invisible War’, which was nominated by the Children's Book Council of Australia as a 'Notable Book of 2017' and winner of two awards in the 2017 Educational Publishing Awards Australia.
176 Little Lonsdale St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
|Concession member||$ 18.00|