Welcome to our monthly brag about our Writers Victoria community members who have won awards, been shortlisted or longlisted for writing prizes or received industry recognition.
The Voss Literary Prize 2017 longlist has been announced. On the list are:
- ‘All These Perfect Strangers’ by Aoife Clifford, member
- ‘Our Magic Hour’ by Jennifer Down, tutor
- ‘Our Tiny, Useless Hearts’ by Toni Jordan, tutor and member
- ‘The Healing Party’ by Micheline Lee, tutor and member
- ‘Skylarking’ by Kate Mildenhall, Black Inc., tutor and member
- ‘A Loving, Faithful Animal’ by Josephine Rowe, tutor.
Varuna, the national writers’ house has announced the recipients of their 2018 Varuna Residency Fellowships. Among the recipients are:
- Rebecca Harkins-Cross, tutor, for ‘Terror Australis’, ‘probing the history of fear in Australian film’
- Nick Gadd, member, for ‘Death of a Typographer’, a ‘novel about fonts’
- Toni Jordan, member and tutor, for the novel ‘Cloudland’, about ‘the decades-old mystery of the death of a beloved novelist’
- Leah Kaminsky, member and tutor, for ‘The Hollow Bones’, a novel ‘based on a true story which smoulders with the crucial lessons we might learn from our not-too-distant history’
- Miranda Luby, member, for ‘The Colour of Air’, a novel ‘about a boy who must confront unresolved family issues or face being trapped on an island forever without the girl he loves’
- Paddy O’Reilly, tutor, for ‘The White Line’, a novel where ‘a hardworking cleaner must enter a dangerous world’ to find her missing husband.
The 2017 Affirm Press Mentorship Award Winners have been announced. Among the recipients is Edita Mujkic, member, for her memoir ‘From There to Here’ which tells the story of her being held hostage by the Serb para-army, scrambling to survive with no money and little food, and the agonising 600 days she spent away from her husband. Edita will receive a week’s residency and manuscript development at Varuna as well as in-depth manuscript development and feedback from editors at Affirm.
The Waverley Library Award 2017 shortlist has been announced. On the list is ‘Anaesthesia: The Gift of Oblivion and the Mystery of Consciousness’ by Kate Cole-Adams, member.
The shortlist for the Military History Prize has been announced. On the list is ‘Jewish Anzacs: Jews in the Australian Military’ by Mark Dapin, tutor.