Welcome to our monthly brag about our Writers Victoria community members who have won awards, been shortlisted or longlisted for writing prizes or received industry recognition.
The shortlists for the 2018 Kibble and Dobbie Awards have been announced. Among the shortlisted titles for established Australian female author is:
- Maxine Beneba Clarke, tutor, for ‘The Hate Race’
Among the shortlisted titles for a first-time published Australian female author is:
- Micheline Lee, tutor, for ‘The Healing Party: A Novel’
The shortlist for Lip magazine’s annual Rachel Funari Prize for Fiction has been announced. Among the shortlisted authors and their works are:
- Alice Bishop, member, for ‘Highway’
- Alicia Sometimes, tutor and member, for‘In Search of Murakami’
- Else Fitzgerald for ‘the last time you saw her was on the news’
The Sisters in Crime Australia’s 18th Davitt Awards for best crime books by Australian women have been announced the longlist. Among the longlist are:
Adult crime novels:
- Hazel Edwards, tutor, for ‘Celebrant Sleuth: I do … or die’
- Anna George, member, for ‘The Lone Child’
- Narrelle M Harris, member, for ‘Ravenfall’
- Susan Hawthorne, tutor, for ‘Dark Matters’
- Dorothy Johnston, member, for ‘The Swan Island Connection’
- Kylie Ladd, member, for ‘The Way Back’
- Lois Murphy, member, for ‘Soon’
- Anna Snoekstra, member, for ‘Little Secrets’
- Lesley Truffle, member, for ‘The Scandalous Life of Sasha Torte’
- Emma Viskic, member, for ‘And Fire Came Down’
- Sandi Wallace, member, for ‘Dead Again’
Young Adult crime novels:
- Ellie Marney, tutor, for ‘No Limits’
Children’s crime novels:
- Alex Miles, member, for ‘The Robbery Riddle, Starring Olive Black’
- Ailsa Wild, member, for ‘Squishy Taylor and the Silver Suitcase’
Non-fiction crime books:
- Gabriella Coslovich, tutor, for ‘Whiteley on Trial’
The longlist for the 2018 Kill Your Darlings Unpublished Manuscript Award has been announced. Among the longlisted works, and their authors, are:
- Keren Heenan, member, for ‘Every Shiny Thing’
- Miranda Siemienowicz, member, for, ‘Pretty Roadkill’
The shortlist for the 2018 Kill Your Darlings Unpublished Manuscript Award has been announced. Among the shortlisted authors is:
- Miranda Siemienowicz, member, for ‘Pretty Roadkill’
The winners of the 2018 Norma K Hemming Awards have been announced. Among the winners is Claire G Coleman, tutor, for 'Terra Nullius' in the Long Work category.
The winners for the 2018 Woollahra Digital Literary Awards, for writing first published online or electronically, have been announced. Among the winners are is Jane Rawson for ‘Lake’ for Flash and the Flash and Short Fiction category.
Anne Casey, member, won the 2018 Peter Carey Short Story Award for ‘Being the Mother.’ This story can be read in the spring edition of Meanjin which will be available at the Lerderderg Library, once released.
Deborah Sheldon, member, won the Australian Shadows Award for Best Collected Work 2017 for her dark fantasy and horror collection Perfect Little Stitches and Other Stories. Sheldon was selected from 183 works submitted across 7 categories,representing the very best in the field of horror and dark fiction (and non-fiction) by an Australasian author in 2017.
Somers Paper Nautilus have announced the winners for their 2018 Short Story Competition. Among the winners is Louise Zedda-Sampson, member, for ‘What’s Left Behind’. The winning stories are published in the May/June Edition 72 of the Somers Paper Nautilus.