Welcome to our monthly brag about our Writers Victoria community members who have won awards, been shortlisted or longlisted for writing prizes or received industry recognition.
The shortlists for 2019 NSW Premier’s History Awards Young people’s history prize have been announced. Amongst the shortlist are:
Young people’s history prize
- Kaye Baillie, member, for ‘Message in a Sock’
- Alison Lloyd, member, for 'The Upside-down History of Down Under'
Liminal magazine has announced the longlist for the inaugural Liminal Fiction Prize. Amongst the longlist are:
- Claire G Coleman, tutor, for ‘Wish You Were’
- C B Mako, member, for ‘West of the Sun and Sea’
- Mykaela Saunders, member, for ‘Terranora’
- Bobuq Sayed, member, for ‘The Revolution Will Be Pirated’
- Misbah Wolf, member, for ‘Her Hands’
The Big Issue has announced the writers who will feature in its annual fiction edition.
- Mark Brandi, tutor, commissioned piece
- Ellen van Neerven, member, commissioned piece
- Alicia Sometimes, tutor, submitted piece
The Australian Crime Writers Association (ACWA) has announced the shortlists for this year’s Ned Kelly Awards for Australian crime writing. Amongst the shortlist are:
Best crime fiction
- Garry Disher, member, for ‘Kill Shot: A Wyatt Thriller’
Best first fiction
- Katherine Kovacic, member, for ‘The Portrait of Molly Dean’
Ilka Tampke, member, has been shortlisted for The Small Press Network (SPN) 2019 Most Underrated Book Award (MUBA) for ‘Songwoman’
Jean Bachoura, member, has won the Lifted Brow and RMIT’s non/fictionLab 2019 Prize for Experimental Nonfiction for his essay ‘Tretinoin’.
Lee Kofman, tutor, has been longlisted for the 2019 Mark and Evette Moran Literary Award (the Nib) for ‘Imperfect: How our bodies shape the people we become.’
Anne Casey, member, has been shortlisted for the 2019 Overland Victoria University (VU) Short Story Prize for ‘Starving in the land of plenty’
Angela Meyer, tutor, has been shortlisted for the Readings 2019 New Australian Fiction Prize for 'A Superior Spectre'
Fleur Glenn, member, has been shortlisted for the Harper Collins 2019 Banjo Prize for an unpublished work of commercial fiction for ‘Nina and Pearl’
Aoife Clifford, member, has been highly commended for the Sisters in Crime Davitt Awards for ‘Second Sight’