Welcome to our monthly brag about our Writers Victoria community members who have won awards, been shortlisted or longlisted for writing prizes or received industry recognition.
The long list for the 2017 Richell Prize has been announced. On the list are:
- Meagan Bertram, member for 'Trapped'
- Carolyn Malkin, member for 'The Demon Drink'.
The 2017 winners and notable books in the Children's Book Council of Australia (CBCA) Awards have been announced. Among the winners are:
- The Book of the Year Older Readers Honours Book Cath Crowley, assessor for 'Words in Deep Blue'
- The Picture Book of the Year Honours Book Maxine Beniba Clarke, tutor for 'The Patchword Bike'.
The shortlist for the Readings Prize for New Australian Fiction shortlist 2017 has been announced. Among the six books shortlisted are:
- Melanie Cheng, member for 'Australia Day'
- Marija Pericic, member for 'The Lost Pages'
- Jane Rawson, tutor for 'From The Wreck'.
The Centre for Youth Literature at the State Library of Victoria has announced the shortlists for the 2017 Inky Awards for young adult literature. Among the shortlisted books for the Gold Inky Award for an Australian book are:
- ‘Frankie’ by Shivaun Plozza, member, manuscript assessor and tutor
- ‘Words in Deep Blue’ by Cath Crowley, manuscript assessor.
The shortlist for the open category of the Apollo Bay Writers festival (ABWF) Writing Competition 2017 has been announced. On the shortlist are:
- Tina Cartwright, member, for ‘Sharing Stories’
- Alice Bishop, member for ‘Red Sea’
- Brianna Bullen, member, for ‘A conversation between equals about the human condition’
- Sung-Ju Suya Lee, member for ‘No Ruby Slippers’.
‘Kill Your Darlings’ and the Australian Crime Writers Association (ACWA) have announced the shortlist for this year’s S D Harvey Short Story Competition. The $1000 award, which honours the late true-crime writer and television producer Sandra Harvey, is presented annually for a work of short crime fiction as part of the Ned Kelly Awards for Australian crime writing. Among the shortlisted stories are:
- ‘Rules to Live By’ by Louise Bassett, member
- ‘The Ridge’ by Katherine Kovacic, member
- ‘Flesh’ by Stephen Samuel, member.
Sisters in Crime has announced the winners for the 2017 Davitt Awards for the best crime books by Australian women. Among the winners is ‘Frankie’ by Shivaun Plozza, manuscript assessor, tutor and member.
The award-winning picture book ‘Zelda's Big Adventure’ by Marie Alafaci, member, tutor and manuscript assessor, was one of only six 'outstanding Australian picture books' to be read by celebrities during Book Week 2017 on a new ABC TV program 'Story Time', a new Play School series. ‘Zelda's Big Adventure’ was read by the ABC's 7.30 host Leigh Sales.
Mary Jones, member, was a finalist in the Hunter Writers Centre Grieve Project 2017 competition with her poem 'Glass', which will also be published in their anthology.
Member Joy Rainey has received a commendation in the Victorian Community History Awards 2016. Joy received the commendation in the Collaborative Community Award for her work as editor on ‘From the Horse’s Mouth: Twelve of Melbourne’s Pioneer Market Garden Families Recollect’. The Collaborative Community Award recognises the best community collaborative work which involves significant contributions from several individuals, groups or historical societies.
The winners of the 2017 Romance Writers of Australia (RWA) Romantic Book of the Year awards, known as the ‘RUBYs’, were announced at the RWA conference in Brisbane. Among the winners is Wendy Lee Davies, member, who took out the Emerald Award for best unpublished manuscript.
Marina Scott, member, was joint winner of the 2016 Ko Award for a haiku written in English, in Nagoya Japan 2016.
Eddie Paterson, member was commended in The Wesley Michel Wright Prize in Poetry for his collection 'Redaction'.
Kelly Gardiner, tutor, was shortlisted for the NSW Premier’s History awards (YP History Prize) for 'Australia’s Great War: 1917'.
Anita Heiss, tutor, was shortlisted for the People’s Choice Queensland Book of the Year for 'Barbed Wire and Cherry Blossoms'.