Welcome to our monthly brag about our Writers Victoria community members who have won awards, been shortlisted or longlisted for writing prizes or received industry recognition.
The shortlists for the Australian Book Industry Awards (ABIAs) have been announced. Amongst the shortlist are:
Book of the year for younger children (ages 7-12)
- Andy Griffiths, tutor, for ‘The 104-Storey Treehouse’
Small publishers’ adult book of the year
- Angela Meyer, tutor, A Superior Spectre
The Australian Society of Authors (ASA) has announced the winners of its 2019 Writers’ and Illustrators’ Mentorship Program.
Amongst the winners are:
- Diana Navarro, member
- Michael Uniacke, member
Adult narrative nonfiction
- Violet Kieu, member
- Helen Bradwell, member
Children’s, young adult and picture books
- Amy Adeney, member
- Kathryn Hore, member
The Wheeler Centre has announced the successful applicants for its 2019 Hot Desk Fellowships. Amongst the new fellows are:
- Christine Davey, member
- Gabriella Munoz, member
The shortlist for Penguin Random House (PRH) Australia’s inaugural Write It! fellowship program has been announced. Amongst the shortlisted writers and their manuscripts are:
- Sneha Lees, member, for ‘The Not-So-Subtle Art of Indian Parenting’ (humour/memoir)
- Thuy On, tutor, for ‘Turbulence’ (poetry).
- Michelle Scott Tucker, member, has been shortlisted for the 2018 Ashurst Business Literature Prize for ‘Elizabeth Macarthur: A Life at the Edge of the World’
- Kirstyn McDermott, tutor, has been shortlisted for the for the 2019 Norma K Hemming Award short fiction category for ‘Triquetra’