It’s that time of year again – Subscriberthon is on all of October, and you can win one of our excellent bookish prizes by simply becoming a member or renewing your membership!
We’re excited to be offering a wide array of fantastic prizes as part of our Subscriberthon throughout October. With three major prizes on offer, plus weekly book packs and daily book giveaways, there are plenty of chances to win an excellent bookish prize when you become a member or renew your membership. Membership gives you access to our many member benefits – such as discounts on all our courses, manuscript assessments, mentorships and writer’s studios; issues of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine delivered to your door; and information, advice and guidance from the Writers Victoria team – and much more. Most important of all, you’ll become part of a community of passionate fellow writers.
We’re proud to be Victoria’s peak body for writers and storytellers. Since 1989, we’ve been a leading provider of information, resources and skill development for our members and the broader writing community. We support Victorian writers in all genres, all parts of the state, all year round. We’re the largest employer of writers in the state, and we support and advocate on behalf of the broader literary sector.
Writers Victoria is largely able to provide our services thanks to memberships. As a member, you’re not only becoming part of our community, you’re helping our staff, tutors and partners create and deliver our courses, our manuscript and mentorship services, ‘The Victorian Writer’, new website content, and so much more. If you’ve ever benefitted from our services or advice – or are looking to in the future – then we’d greatly appreciate your support.
We’re so proud of the work that everyone involved with Writers Victoria does, and hope to continue providing writers with the support and community they need to keep doing what they love.
Everyone who joins Writers Victoria during October goes into the end-of-month draw for these top three prizes!
(1 x Metropolitan winner and 1 x Regional winner):
- A $150 voucher to a bookshop of the winner’s choosing;
- A curated reading list put together by our staff of books we love, cherish, read and read again, including our notes on why they matter;
- A selection of books to accompany the curated reading list.
(1 x Metropolitan winner and 1 x Regional winner)
A $100 voucher from beloved Melbourne bookstore, Hill of Content, and a ‘Growing Up’ book pack from publishers Black Inc., including:
- ‘Growing Up Queer in Australia’
- ‘Growing Up Disabled in Australia’
- ‘Growing Up African in Australia’
- ‘Growing Up Aboriginal in Australia’
Thanks to some of the best literary journals in Australia, we’re offering a Journal Pack that covers all your reading needs for the coming year – print and digital memberships, as well as select copies of:
- Overland Journal: 1-year subscription (four print issues)
- Australian Poetry Journal: 1-year digital subscription (2 print issues) and a copy of APJ 11.1
- Westerly Magazine: 1-year subscription (two print issues)
- Kill Your Darlings: 1-year membership and a copy of ‘New Australian Fiction 2021’
- Express Media: Pack of 5 back issues of ‘Voiceworks’ magazine
- Meanjin: 1-year print subscription and a copy of the latest issue, Spring 2021
- Griffith Review: 1-year digital subscription
- Aniko Press: a copy of Issue 2: Revolt
Daily Book Giveaway
Continuing their support of our popular daily book giveaway, our good friends at Affirm Press have provided 31 copies of ‘Modern Marriage’ by Writers Victoria member Filip Vukašin:
Everything in Klara’s life seems perfect.
She runs a successful cosmetic clinic with her best friend Tomas, she has a beautiful house near the beach in Melbourne, and she and her adoring husband Dante are trying for a baby.
Then one day she receives a call that punctures her perfect life. Dante has had an accident. He was found unconscious in a gay sauna and now lies in a coma. What Klara discovers about her husband will disrupt everything she thought she knew about love, marriage and family.
From Australia’s most exciting new author, ‘Modern Marriage’ will cause you to question what lies beneath the appearance of perfection.
We’ll be giving a copy of ‘Modern Marriage’ away every day during Subscriberthon – so no matter when you join us, you’re in with a chance to win!
The Stella Prize Pack
The Stella Prize continues to support and promote extraordinary books by Australian women writers and this year we will be giving away one set of the shortlisted titles for 2021:
- ‘The Bass Rock’ by Evie Wyld (Penguin Random House)
- ‘Fathoms: the world in the whale’ by Rebecca Giggs (Scribe Publications)
- ‘Revenge: Murder in Three Parts’ by S.L. Lim (Transit Lounge)
- ‘The Animals in That Country’ by Laura Jean McKay (Scribe Publications)
- ‘Witness’ by Louise Milligan (Hachette Australia)
- ‘Stone Sky Gold Mountain’ by Mirandi Riwoe (University of Queensland Press)
In honour of Stella Maria Sarah Miles Franklin, we will draw the winner of this special book pack giveaway on Stella’s birthday, 14 October. Open to everyone who joins or renews between 1 October—13 October.
Weekly Book Packs
We have a varied and exciting range of book packs to give away this year, with books up for grabs from notable publishers such as Penguin Random House, Allen & Unwin, Magabala Books, Scribe, Ultimo Press, Pantera Press, Five Mile, and Hardie Grant.
For the first few weeks of Subscriberthon we have books packs to give away thanks to Penguin Random House!
The Penguin Random House Pack
• ‘The Yield’ by Tara June Winch
• ‘The Bluffs’ by Kyle Perry
• ‘Axiomatic’ by Maria Tumarkin
• ‘On Freedom’ by Maggie Nelson
New Member Magazine Pack
As a big welcome to new members, each week we will give one lucky winner a Victorian Writer magazine pack. This is a complete set of editions, from the current magazine to August 2018. An invaluable source of insight and tips from authors, editors and literary agents, and plenty of great reading with pieces by Writers Victoria members and past winners of the Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers Competition.
- Discounts on courses, manuscript assessments, mentorships and writer’s studios.*
- ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine delivered straight to your door or inbox, plus access to the online archive of past articles.
- Our fortnightly newsletter filled with all the latest writing news, events and opportunities.
- Three free listings a year in ‘The Victorian Writer’ and/or eNews.
- Information, advice and guidance from the Writers Victoria team.
- Access to the Writers Victoria library in the CBD, including a great collection of writing-related reference books, literary magazines, journals, trade weeklies and space to write.*
- Representation and advocacy on issues affecting Victorian writers.
- Discounts from our partners.
If you join as a group or organisation, membership includes:
- Discounts and benefits for one nominated representative
- Fortnightly eNews to send on to your group
- ‘The Victorian Writer’ for your group (in print or online)
- Access to a place for your group to meet*
Membership will also allow you to:
- Support your sector: Writers Victoria is a not-for-profit organisation. Your membership fees go towards supporting the State’s writers and advocating on their behalf.
- Have your say in the organisation: attend and vote at Annual General Meetings or nominate for the Committee of Management.
*Current restrictions due to COVID-19 may mean that services listed may not be currently available. As restrictions change, we fully intend to return these services to our members, and will provide updates when possible.