Opportunity for a woman writer facing barriers to participation in the literary industry
Writers Victoria is delighted to announce a new opportunity for an emerging or established Victorian woman writer to join us as a Digital Writer in Residence in 2018.
The residency will provide paid writing and subsidised professional development opportunities including, but not limited to:
- six paid commissions of 800-1000 words to be published through Writers Victoria channels and/or partner outlets (worth $1200)
- provision of a complimentary Writers Victoria membership (worth $75)
- complimentary access to up to five online and/or in-person workshops (worth up to $725)
- profile-raising and facilitated networking opportunities
- paid opportunity to design and deliver a half-day workshop or seminar as part of the Writers Victoria courses and events Season 2 program (worth $550)
While open to all fiction or non-fiction writers who identify as women, priority will be given to writers facing intersecting barriers to participation in the literary industry, particularly single mothers.
The successful applicant will be able to work at flexible times and locations, and there are limited funds for child-care available, which can be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Applications should include the following:
- A cover letter (max 1 page) including:
- Brief bio including links/references to any relevant publications
- Outline of how the digital residency would benefit you as a writer
- Brief proposal for at least two online articles/stories to be submitted as part of the residency
- Ideas of course(s) that would be of value to you (see here for more details; note: choose courses from late-Feb onwards).
- Sample of fiction or non-fiction writing (up to 500 words)
Please send your applications to [email protected] before 9am Mon 5 Feb.
Women writers continue to face many barriers to artistic and professional development, including caring responsibilities, socio-economic status, location and distance to metropolitan areas. This residency aims to support creative practice and enhance professional development in a way that respects the writers’ life circumstances.
For further information, please contact Angela Savage on [email protected] or 0432 697 263 (Mon–Thurs), or Claire Capel-Stanley on [email protected] or 9094 7840.
The Digital Writer in Residence initiative is made possible through a grant from the Loula Rodopoulos Sub-Fund of the Victorian Women’s Benevolent Trust.
Image: by DavidZydd courtesy Pixabay.