The Writers Victoria Disadvantaged Writers Fund aims to increase opportunities for writers who experience financial and social barriers to developing their writing skills and connecting with the writing and publishing community.
Donations to the Fund help provide free or heavily subsidised professional development opportunities for emerging writers throughout the state of Victoria experiencing difficulties arising from financial hardship.
The Fund was launched in June 2018 and has so provided:
- Five partial bursaries for writers who are residents of public and social housing, to attend the workshop, 'Memoir In A Year: Protecting Yourself'
- Three bursary places for Indigenous writers in Melissa Lucashenko's workshop, 'Writing Race and Class - An Aboriginal Perspective'
- One bursary place for a writer of colour in Melissa Lucashenko's workshop, 'Writing Race and Class - An Aboriginal Perspective'
- Four partial bursaries for writers who are residents of public and social housing, to attend the workshops, 'Writing Grief and Trauma' and 'Writing Long-Form Journalism'
- One partial subsidy for a writer with disability to attend the workshop, 'Travelling in Time: Writing History'
- One partial bursary for a writer who is a primary carer to attend the workshop, 'Writing from Life'
- Two subsidised mentoring opportunities for writers with disability
- Contribution towards proof reading for a writer with disability
How to contribute to the fund
- The proceeds of the Writers Victoria State of the (Writing) National annual oration support the Disadvantaged Writers Fund. By attending the annual event, you will be making a contribution to the Fund.
- You can also make a tax deductible donation to the fund by calling us on (03) 9094 7855 to make a donation over the phone. Our office hours are Mon-Fri 10am-4pm.
FAQs about The Fund:
How are the disadvantaged writers who get support from the fund chosen?
They are nominated by a member of the Victorian writing community who knows the writer and their writing well. Community organisations working with writers can also nominate candidates for the Fund.
Can I nominate a writer to get support from the Fund?
Yes. If you are a Writers Victoria member, established writer, tutor, publisher, or you work at an arts or community organisation and know of an emerging writer who could benefit from the Fund contact us on 03 9094 7855 or email us at email@example.com to discuss this.
Can I nominate myself to get support from the Fund?
No. You need to be nominated by a member of the Victorian writing community, or a community organisation worker, who knows you and your writing well.
Does the Fund cover living expenses for disadvantaged writers?
The Fund is designed primarily to cover fees so that writers can participate in professional development opportunities, such as workshops, mentorships, etc. The Fund may also cover travel costs for regional writers, child-minding for parents and respite care for carers, but not living expenses.
Are there other ways I can support specific disadvantaged writers?
Yes. Contact us on (03) 9094 7855 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options.