Thanks to the support of the Grace Marion Wilson Trust, Writers Victoria is able to support five writers with disability each year with free mentoring with authors, assessors and industry experts.
Now in its sixth year, our Write-ability Fellowships support emerging writers with disability with tailored professional development support such as manuscript assessments, curated programs of workshops, and/or mentoring.
This year's judges noted that it was extremely difficult to make the final selection, as many applications were highly regarded and covered a wide range of genres including narrative non-fiction, poetry, memoir, fantasy, crime, YA, literary fiction, historical fiction and self-help. Whilst the judges struggled to select only five fellows, in the end fellowships were awarded to writers whose work not only leapt off the page, but to those writers that had an excellent idea of what stage of the process their project was at and how the fellowship would help them achieve their overall writing goals.
The fellows were announced at the Subversion and Disability Event at EWF by WV Director Angela Savage, and will commence their fellowships in July.
The 2018 Write-ability Fellows are:
- Kathleen Humble, for her early-reader novel about Cloud Jones, a young girl and her best friend Wraxton Nguyen, a shape-shifting miniature Blue Whale
- Michael Krockenberger, for his literary fiction novel "Falling and Burning"
- Anthony Riddell, for his speculative non-fiction manuscript "The Sun Is Not Fun"
- Michelle Vasiliu, for her middle-grade novel "Where Are You Mum" about a young girl and her mother who is bipolar, and
- Jo Walters, for her self-help manuscript "Fully Sick: A Guide To Being Sick and Living Well"
Judges awarded Highly Commended to three writers:
- Louise Falconer for "The Body Impolitic"
- CB Mako for "You're Not Disabled Enough: Disabled Writers Of Colour Written Out of the Narrative", and
- Olivia Muscat for "Adelaide's Lament".
These writers will receive a free mentoring session with Write-ability Project Coordinator Harriet Gaffney.
Past Write-ability Fellows
The 2017 Write-ability Fellowships were awarded to:
- Mary Borsellino
- Sonia Marcon
- Jarrod Marrinon
- Fiona Murphy
- Jessica Walton
A further two shortlisted writers were highly commended: Maribel Steel and Michelle Vasiliu.
The 2016 Write-abiltiy Fellowships were awarded to:
- Andrew Westle
- Daniel Kraus
- Jessica Knight
- Kate Barry
- Vincent Silk
The 2015 Write-ability Fellowships were awarded to:
The 2014 Write-ability Fellowships were awarded to:
A further three shortlisted writers were highly commended: Naomi Snell, Tully Zygier and Veronica Fil.
The 2013 Write-ability Fellowships were awarded to:
Writers Victoria acknowledges the generous support of the Grace Marion Wilson Trust for this program. Write-ability is also made possible by the support of the Lord Mayor’s Charitable Foundation.
Write-ability is also grateful for the previous support of the City of Melbourne, Perpetual Trustees, Copyright Agency Ltd, the Ian Potter Foundation, Perpetual, the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts and the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria.