This workshop will be presented online. All participants will be provided with detailed instructions for participation.
Included in this course:
- 2.5 hours of guidance, information, and directed teaching
- A curated reading list for context and inspiration
- Writing exercises to help hone your craft and reinforce your new skills
- 1 hour interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and skills extension
- Personalised feedback from Alan on a piece of writing up to 500 words
You will learn:
- How to create a convincing and compelling outsider her/heroine: character and backstory.
- How to give a voice to your Outsider: dialogue and perspective.
- How to use your “outsiderdom” in plotting.
- Character development and story arcs for the outsider.
- Bringing your outlier in from the cold: the serial outsider.
Schedule for the Day:
- 10 - 11:15am: First webinar with Alan Carter
- 11:45am - 1pm: Second webinar with Alan Carter
- 3 - 4pm: Interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and more casual instructions based on your experiences
- 500-word pieces to be sent to Alan for feedback
About Alan Carter
Alan’s Ned Kelly award-winning WA-set ‘Cato Kwong’ series is Prime Cut, Getting Warmer, Bad Seed & Heaven Sent. The series has been translated into French, German and Spanish. ‘Marlborough Man’, a standalone, won a Ngaio Marsh award in NZ in 2018. The sequel, ‘Doom Creek’, is due out later this year. Previously he was a TV documentary maker working on (among other things), ‘Who Do You Think You Are?’. Alan currently lives in Tasmania.
If you’re purchasing a full price workshop at $215, consider a full price one-year membership ($75) plus member-priced workshop ($155) will cost just $230 and give you discounts on all our services plus six free copies of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine.
And if you have a concession card, a one-year membership ($55) plus member-concession workshop ($135) will cost you only $190.
Melbourne, VIC 3000