This workshop will be Auslan-interpreted.
You will learn
- to identify your own individual style and where it sits among fantasy, magical realism and speculative fictions
- to explore a wide range of inspirations to draw on in future work, from the world of art, myth, science and more
- techniques to ground your work in the real world while still allowing for fantasy and magic to emerge
- the importance of character and emotion in non-realistic work
- potential avenues, conventional and unconventional, for short and strange work.
About Leanne Hall
Leanne Hall is a Melbourne-based author of novels for young people, including the Text Prize-winning ‘This Is Shyness’, ‘Queen of the Night’ and ‘Iris and the Tiger’. Leanne has had shorter pieces published in ‘Meanjin’, ‘Best Australian Stories’ and the anthology ‘Growing Up Asian In Australia’. She has also written for place-based storytelling apps and audio tours. Her work plays with the borders of reality and fantasy.
Take a look at our interview with Leanne about the inspiration behind her surreal stories here on the WV website.
Check out the other Winter School workshops going on in July 2016:
- Winter School – Poetry and the Past with Ali Alizadeh
- Winter School – Getting Your Manuscript Ready for Submission with Shivaun Plozza
- Winter School – Getting a Story Started with Amie Kaufman
- Winter School – The Narrative in Non-Fiction with Damon Young
- Winter School – Songwriting with Charles Jenkins
- Winter School – How to Run a Writing Event with Sam Twyford-Moore
- Winter School – YA with Fiona Wood
- Winter School – Ghostwriting with David Brewster
- Winter School – Blogging with Karen Andrews
- Winter School – On the Page with Clare Strahan
- Winter School – Historical Fiction with Kate Mildenhall
- Winter School – The Ethics of Using Real Stories in Fiction with Laura Jean McKay
- Winter School – Travel Writing with Kate J Armstrong
- Winter School – Fantasy and Magic Realism in Short Story with Leanne Hall
|Concession Member||$ 120.00|