The course will also discuss, ‘sketching’, voice, setting and pace in relation the short story, and is aimed at both beginning and emerging writers. Presented in collaboration with The Garret Podcast.
You will learn
• the importance of documentation of initial ideas/inspiration for a story
• the use of ‘sketching’ as a vital practice in short story writing
• the importance of structural editing and ‘weight’ in short story writing
• the use of pace, voice and atmosphere in short story writing
• the importance of place as ‘character’ in short story writing.
About Tony Birch
Tony Birch is the author of 6 works of fiction; the novels Shadowboxing (2006), Blood (2011) and Ghost River (2015), and the short story collections, Father’s Day (2009), The Promise (2014) and Common People (2017). He is currently a senior research fellow at Victoria University.
The Garret is not a podcast about individual books, nor is it designed to promote a writer's latest publication. It is a series exploring how the best of the best start, draft, complete and market their writing. Listen to The Garret Podcast.
Read more about events in The Garret series:
Melbourne, VIC 3000
|Event registration fee|
|Concession Member||$ 135.00|