Through discussion of the history and evolution of ekphrasis, examples of ekphrasis in works of literature—both poetry and prose – as well as practical workshop exercises, students will learn how to develop and enrich their own writing practice through an active engagement with the visual arts. Presented with support from the Surf Coast Shire Small Grants Program.
You will learn
- The history and evolution of ekphrasis
- Examples of ekphrasis in literature
- How to write an ekphrastic work (poetry and prose)
- The relationship between image and word
- How to incorporate the visual arts into the practice of writing
About Bella Li
Bella Li is the author of Maps, Cargo (Vagabond Press, 2013), shortlisted for the Wesley Michel Wright Prize, and Argosy (Vagabond Press, 2017)—a book of poetry, photography and collage. She is a co-editor and co-curator at Five Islands Press, Photodust, and The Slow Canoe Live Journal and Press, and a recent guest editor of Cordite (Issue 55). Her work has been published in journals and anthologies including Meanjin, The Kenyon Review and Best Australian Poems.
5 McMillan Street
Anglesea, VIC 3230
|Concession Member||$ 70.00|