This workshop will be taught online. Participants will receive detailed instructions for participation.
Included in this course:
- 2.5 hours of guidance, information, and directed teaching
- A curated reading list for context and inspiration
- Writing exercises to help hone your craft and reinforce your new skills
- 1 hour interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and skills extension
- Personalised feedback from Dave on a piece of writing up to 500 words
You will learn:
The genres and sub genres of crime fiction.
How the demands of character and plot vary with sub-genre.
P.O.V. as a critical tool for the crime-writer
What thrills a reader.
Red herrings, antagonists, avoiding the cliche and other ingredients that make a story zing.
Schedule for the Day:
- 10 - 11:15am: First webinar with Dave Warner
- 11:45am - 1pm: Second webinar with Dave Warner
- 3 - 4pm: Interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and more casual instructions based on your experiences
- 500-word pieces to be sent to Dave for feedback
Before the Course
Participants should read some crime fiction novels of any genre but they have no need to bring anything with them. If possible, Dave suggests reading Silence of The Lambs (Thomas Harris). It would be helpful to read one of Dave's novels but not essential, same with novels by Henning Mankell and Agatha Christie.
About Dave Warner
After years recording and touring on the rock circuit, Dave Warner began writing for other mediums, starting with plays and moving on to novels, television and feature film. In 2020 he published his tenth crime fiction novel Over My Dead Body. He is a winner of the Ned Kelly award for Best Crime Fiction and for WA Premier’s Award for best fiction. Dave has also published children’s novels and non-fiction books. He has worked on a number of Australian TV shows including Packed To The Rafters, McLeods Daughters and Never Tear Us Apart, the INXS telemovie. He has also written three produced screenplays.
If you’re purchasing a full price workshop at $215, consider a full price one-year membership ($75) plus member-priced workshop ($155) will cost just $230 and give you discounts on all our services plus six free copies of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine.
And if you have a concession card, a one-year membership ($55) plus member-concession workshop ($135) will cost you only $190.
Melbourne, VIC 3000
Download iCalendar entry for this event. iCalendar feed for this event.