Who is it for?
The forum is for people with disability in Ballarat and the Central Highlands region, as well as arts and community development workers, disability and health service providers, teachers, local councils and libraries.
When we say that Write-ability is a program for people with disability, we mean that it's for anyone who experiences barriers as a result of their particular impairment or condition (such as the lack of physical access, communication barriers, discrimination or other people’s attitudes).
This includes (but isn't limited to) people with sensory or physical impairments, hidden impairments, ongoing medical conditions, intellectual impairments, learning difficulties or mental health conditions. If you self identify as a person with disability, or as someone who experiences barriers as a result of your condition, then this opportunity is for you.
By bridging the gap between mainstream arts and disability communities, the Own Voices Forum will use writing to break down barriers to social inclusion and give people with disability the skills and opportunity to tell their stories their way.
- 09.45 am - Registrations open, morning tea (provided)
- 10.15 am - Welcome
- 10.30 am - Why Writing Matters (the Writers Vic team will teach you about the Social Model of Disability, best-practice language, advocacy and power, and share some tips on how to write about disability
- 12.30 pm - Lunch (provided)
- 01.00 pm - Reading from disability writer, activist and performer Jax Jacki Brown.
- 01.15 pm - Writing Workshop (develop creative and professional writing skills with Jax Jacki Brown)
- 03.00 pm - Learn about upcoming writing opportunities for people with disability in the region (and how to get involved).
- 03.30 pm - Close
More about Write-ability
The Own Voices Forum is part of Write-ability Goes Regional and Online, one of the only fully-accessible and disability-led writing and literary initiatives in Australia.
Following the forum, the program will include workshops, author talks and webinars for people with disability interested in writing and build writing skills for creativity and employment. Watch this space for more information coming soon.
Special Offer: People with disability in the Central Highlands can also get 30% off a Writers Victoria membership by before the end of June 2017. Find out more on the this website.
102 Stawell St South
Ballarat, VIC 3350