This workshop will be delivered Online.
Included in this course:
- 2.5 hours of information, suggestions, writing tips and learned lessons shared around showing and not telling
- A suggested annotated reading list of excellent examples to enjoy - and mine for your own purposes!
- Writing exercises to help hone your craft and reinforce your new skills
- 1 hour interactive webinar for questions, clarifications, and skills extension
- Personalised feedback from Emily on a piece of writing up to 500 words
You will learn:
- To understand and apply the practical implications of ‘showing’ rather than ‘telling.’
- To read and evaluate your own and others’ work for its effectiveness in terms of ‘showing’ and ‘telling.’
- About a range of elements of your writing that can be improved and enriched by ‘showing.’
- To utilize concrete, sensory detail to make your prose come alive in the reader’s mind.
- Techniques to continue to improve your writing beyond this workshop.
Schedule for the Workshop:
- Saturday 4 April 2020, 10-11:15am: Webinar 1 with Emily Bitto
- Saturday 4 April 2020, 11:45am - 1pm: Webinar 2 with Emily Bitto
- Saturday 4 April 2020, 3-4pm: Webinar Q&A
About Emily Bitto
Emily Bitto’s debut novel 'The Strays', was the winner of the 2015 Stella Prize, and has been published in the UK, the US, and Canada. She has a Masters in Literary Studies and a PhD in Creative Writing from the University of Melbourne. She has been a sessional lecturer, tutor and supervisor in literary studies and creative writing since 2007. Emily also co-owns and runs Carlton wine-bar, Heartattack and Vine.
Not a member?
If you’re purchasing a full price workshop at $215, consider a full price one-year membership ($75) plus member-priced workshop ($155) will cost just $230 and give you discounts on all our services plus six free copies of ‘The Victorian Writer’ magazine.
And if you have a concession card, a one-year membership ($55) plus member-concession workshop ($135) will cost you only $190.