The Intermediate Short Story Clinic is a safe, supportive space in which to learn and grow as a writer but also to discuss the journey, and identify certain stumbling blocks and best practices in regards to submission and revision of your work.
Stories of up to 1,500 words due Wednesdays 18 July, 22 August, 19 September, 24 October, 21 November
You will learn
- Knowledge of narrative arcs, and how they ground a character's journey through a story
- delineation of authorial voice character voice, and how to use both to engage the reader
- sensory images and the importance of sight, sound, smell, touch and taste in creating a wholly immersive narrative experience
- focused approaches to dialogue: subtext, repetition, and archetypal speech patterns
- the submissions process: best practice in sending your work out into the world
About Laurie Steed
Laurie Steed is the author of You Belong Here, published March 2018. His short fiction has been broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and has appeared in Best Australian Stories, Award Winning Australian Writing, The Age, Meanjin, Westerly, Island, and elsewhere. He is the recipient of fellowships from The University of Iowa, The Baltic Writing Residency, The Elizabeth Kostova Foundation, The Katharine Susannah Prichard Foundation and The Fellowship of Writers (Western Australia). He lives in Perth, Western Australia, with his wife and two young sons.
Read more about our other online courses, digital intensives, clinics and webinars:
|Concession Member||$ 240.00|