Using the text ‘Writing True Stories’ we will explore the key issues in writing memoir, read some extracts and strengthen those truth-telling muscles through workshop exercises. We will look at how to expand or re-focus your memoir from the self to a wider world so that the reader sees a life in context – and decide how far you can go before a memoir becomes fiction.
You will learn
- how to tell the truth – and survive
- how to avoid self-indulgence
- to find a broader context for your story
- to use the techniques of fiction to create an engaging story
- to explore the edge between memoir and fiction.
About Patti Miller
Patti Miller is the author of eight books of fiction and non-fiction. She has published widely in literary and commercial magazines and papers including 'The Sydney Morning Herald', 'The Age', 'The Australian', 'Good Reading Magazine', SMH’s Good Weekend, Spectrum and Travel lift-outs, 'The Guardian' (UK), 'Asia Literary Review', 'Island', 'Art Monthly', 'Southerly' and many more.
|Event registration fee|
|Concession Member||$ 135.00|