This is especially important for memoir. But telling has an important place. This workshop explores the skills of showing AND telling, how to use them, how they differ and how to decide which one is best for pace, effect and focus.
You will learn
• how to ‘show’ through emotion, description, scenes and dialogue
• how to ‘tell’ in a way that is evocative and intriguing
• the importance of pace in memoir writing
• how showing slows the pace and telling speeds it up
• how to know which one to use at different points in a memoir.
About Sarah Vincent
Sarah Vincent has an Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing from RMIT University. Her memoir ‘Death by Dim Sim’ was published by Penguin Random House in February 2017. She has appeared on panels at the Emerging Writers Festival and The Williamstown Lit Fest.
Memoir in a Year
Read more about our remaining Memoir in a Year workshops:
Melbourne, VIC 3000
|Concession Member||$ 80.00|