Writers Victoria is looking for a new Director/CEO to lead Australia’s largest writers’ centre. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone with proven arts management, leadership, advocacy and relationship-building skills and experience to make their mark.
- $90,000+ package per annum (including superannuation and additional two weeks creative leave)
- Hours: Full time OR flexible working hours and leave arrangements negotiable for the right candidate. Includes some evenings and weekends
- Employment type: Fixed term position available for three years
- Reports to: Writers Victoria’s Chairperson and Committee of Management
- Responsible for: Writers Victoria staff, volunteers and interns
- Lead the members, staff, programs and services of Writers Victoria with innovation and creativity.
- Represent and promote writing, literature and publishing at all levels of government, in the not-for-profit and business communities, and also to the wider public.
- Advocate on issues related to writing, literature and publishing that impact members and constituents.
- Consolidate existing relationships and broaden the reach of Writers Victoria through new partnerships.
- Develop strategic, financial and business plans in conjunction with the Committee of Management and ensure their timely implementation.
- Ensure effective recruitment, management and development of staff, volunteers and interns.
- Provide comprehensive and timely reports to the Committee of Management on all aspects of Writers Victoria’s operations and advise on strategic, risk and operational issues.
- Develop and implement a Communications and Marketing Plan.
- Maintain electronic and hard-copy filing systems.
- Contribute to staff meetings and strategic planning sessions.
- Additional duties as required.
- Prepare annual and recut operating and program budgets and ensure responsible fiscal control.
- Prepare monthly financial reports to the Committee of Management in consultation with the Treasurer and Finance Sub-Committee.
- Provide timely advice to the Committee of Management on financial issues.
- Secure recurrent and project funding from government funding agencies (local, state and federal), philanthropic trusts and foundations.
- Initiate and implement donor, sponsorship and fundraising strategies.
- Maximise Writers Victoria’s levels of earned income, including (but not limited to) membership, literary services and business-to-business services.
- Oversee management and maintenance of membership program and associated responsibilities.
- Support retention and growth of Writers Victoria membership.
Programs and services
- Develop programs and services that connect and support writers at all stages of their development.
- Develop and maintain best-practice community cultural development and service delivery models.
- Develop programs and services that generate sustainable income streams for the organisation.
- Demonstrated experience developing a vision for an organisation and implementing through a broad range of activities, programs and resources.
- At least five years arts management or equivalent leadership experience, including the ability to motivate and engage staff and work effectively with a volunteer Committee of Management.
- Excellent financial management skills, including budgeting and fiscal control.
- Extensive knowledge of relevant state and federal government policies, philanthropic and corporate support for the arts.
- Demonstrated success in attracting support from government agencies, philanthropic foundations and individual donors.
- Excellent communication, analytical, problem-solving, negotiation, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- A strong understanding of the writing and publishing sector.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required.
- Current Police Clearance.
How to apply
Applicants can request the Writers Victoria Strategic Plan, 2016 Annual Report and/or 2017 Business Plan. Please email Kate for copies.
Applicants are welcome to ask the current Director, Kate Larsen, any questions about this opportunity before submitting their application. Please email Kate or call 0499 28 48 37.
Address applications to Nicolas Brasch, Chair of Writers Victoria. Please submit the following information:
- A cover letter outlining how you meet each of the selection criteria (no more than 4 A4 pages)
- A copy of your resume (no more than 4 A4 pages).
Applications must be received by Writers Victoria by 10am on Monday 24 July 2017:
- Email (preferred): email@example.com
- Mail: Writers Victoria, 176 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
- Application due date (DEADLINE EXTENDED): 10am on Monday 24 July 2017
- First Interviews: Between 27-30 July (TBC)
- Second Interviews: Between 3-7 August (TBC)
- Start date: August or September 2017