- 1st Prize: $500 Plus mentorship with Clare Hallifax (Publishing Manager with Scholastic Australia).
- 2nd Prize: $200
- 3rd Prize: $100
Shortlisted and winning entries will also receive a certificate.
- Opens: Monday 2 March 2020
- Closes: Monday 27 April 2020 (Entries postmarked or emailed after 27 April will not be accepted.)
- Shortlist Announced: 22 June – Shortlisted Entries judged by Clare Hallifax, Scholastic Australia
- Winners Announced: 1 August
Conditions of Entry:
- Original picture book manuscripts only. Must not have been accepted for publication or have won a prize in any other competition at time of submission.
- 500 word limit (entries over this limit will be disqualified)
- No illustrations to be included.
- Open theme.
- Multiple entries accepted – $15 per entry.
- Entries must be in English.
- Entries must be typed, double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman, Courier or Verdana font.
- The header should contain the Title, Word Count and Page Number.
- Microsoft Word or PDF documents only for email submissions.
- Entries must be accompanied by a cover page that includes the Title, Word Count, Author’s Name, Email, Address and Phone Number.
- The entrant’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript, only on the accompanying cover page.
- Must attach 3 separate documents: the manuscript, the cover page and proof of payment (entries must be paid by direct debit or cheque).
- Please put Picture Book Competition as the subject of the email.
- Email entries to: email@example.com
- Must consist of the manuscript, entry form, payment or proof of payment.
- May be paid via direct debit, bank cheque or money order.
- Postal entries are to be addressed to:
Picture Book Writing Competition
43 Jellicoe Street
Caringbah NSW 2229
Judging and Notification:
- Shortlisted Entrants will be notified by email on Monday 22 June 2020.
- Shortlist will be announced in Pass It On and Buzz Words from 22 June 2020.
- Winners will be announced on 1 August 2020.
- 1st Prize Mentorship with Clare Hallifax will include written feedback on two unpublished manuscripts by the winner (either the competition entry and one other manuscript OR two separate manuscripts). Clare will provide initial feedback, a follow-up meeting or phone call (if not residing in Sydney) to discuss revisions.
- Any prizewinners will have their prizes forwarded to them by mail.
- Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If you have any questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org