Entries are now open for the Apollo Bay WORDFest Short Story Competition. Entries close June 30, 11.59pm, 2022.
The Apollo Bay WORDFest Committee welcome original entries from writers located in the state of Victoria to submit short stories in three categories:
Adult Open Category
(maximum 3000 words)
The winner of the Adult Open Category will receive… as yet to be confirmed but last year it was $1000!
Entry Fee: $10
12-18 Young Adult Category
(maximum 1000 words)
The winner of the 12-18 years Young Adult Category will receive a $300 book voucher.
Entry Fee: $5
Under 12s Category
(maximum 500 words)
The winner of the Under 12s Category will also receive a voucher – $200
Entry Fee: zilch. nada. gratis…just send them in!
Who can enter?
Entries are welcome from residents of the state of Victoria, Australia, writing in English who are not currently paid professional fiction writers.
How to enter?
Short Story Entries must be submitted via email by 11.59pm June 30 2020 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only include in the email field:
+ your full name
+ story title
+ address of permanent residence
+ contact phone number.
One entry per person.
The entry fees of $10 for the adult category, $5 for under 18, (free for under 12s) must be paid by direct deposit to:
Apollo Bay WORDFest.22
Bsb: 633 000
Account Number: 162 260 665
No payment = no entry
The author’s name must not appear anywhere in the attached document, story, or in the name of the digital file.
Formatting your entry:
- Entries must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents (.doc or .docx).
- The text should be presented in 12 pt font size.
- The pages should be numbered.
- The file name should only include the title of the story.
- Entrants should not include their own name in the title of the story or the file name.
- Entries must adhere to the word limit for the category.
- Entries must be written in English.
- Entries must be original works of fiction writing, not previously published elsewhere or infringing on copyright laws.
- Copyright in the story (or stories) remains with the entrant.
Apollo Bay Word Fest Committee reserve the rights to publish the 3 winning stories in print and online, using appropriate media platforms.
Authorship of the shortlisted stories will be fully acknowledged in the event of print and online publishing.
The Judging Process
Judging is a ‘blind’ process. Entrants who have included their name in their document, story or file name will be disqualified.
The panel of judges will be independent of the Apollo Bay Word Fest committee.
The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process.
We are unable to provide feedback about individual entries.
Apollo Bay Word Fest reserves the right not to award a prize in any category.