Spineless Wonders is now accepting submissions of short fiction from writers between 18 and 30 years of age for its digital-only publication program, Slinkies.
Do you battle with Millennial Fatigue? Symptoms include a generalised sense of impending doom about our planet whilst at the same time tuning it out entirely to focus on what really matters… why does this person’s Instagram feed horrify me to my very core, yet I keep going back to see what the hell they’ve done now? It’s okay, you might just be Under 30!
And congratulations, that qualifies you to use your creative energy to enter our writing competition.
Slinkies is looking for your writing:
- under 10,000 words
- of absolutely any genre or style
to publish and promote in our annual run of carefully hand-selected Slinkies digital publications. Check them out. See our FAQs below!
Get published! Get paid! Make sure your ID says you’re under 30 years old. So simple! Submit and be in the running to feel that unadulterated rush of doing something that other people will read and, thanks to our new Slinkies audio, listen to as well! We particularly welcome writers from diverse/disadvantaged backgrounds and if you want to send us something in a language other than English, with translation, do it. Got illustrations? Made a zine? We love text and we love graphics. Check out some of our Slinkies alumni,. Or download some of our past Slinkies digital singles, collections and anthology, .
What: Prose in any form under 10,000 words
Who: Writers younger than 30
When: Submissions now due February 1, 2021
1. Is it free to enter? YES.
2. Will I be paid? YES. We keep enough to cover editorial and admin costs. The more your story sells, the more you earn.
2. I’m an Australian living overseas. Can I still enter? YES. The competition is open to people under 30 who currently reside in Australia or Australians living overseas.
3. Will I be able to publish my story elsewhere in print or as part of a collection? YES. Your agreement with Spineless Wonders will be for the digital-only publication of your story. Copyright remains with you and you are free to offer your story elsewhere. We would love it if you acknowledge that you were fist published by Spineless Wonders!
4. Can I make more than one submission? YES, PLEASE. WE LIKE TO READ.
5. I’m not exactly sure if what I have written is a short story, novella, a set of linked short stories or some weird hybrid thing – do you still want to see it? YES. We want any kind of prose you’ve got, and we love experimental works. Whether it’s one short story or several, a novella, creative non-fiction, hypertext or graphic novellas, send it our way!
6. Where will the Slinkies digital and audio publications be available? Spineless Wonders digital stories can be read on any device with an ereader app. Readers can purchase your story from our website and all ebook retailers. Our audiobooks are also available from a range of retailers.
For more information, visit the Spineless Wonders website.