We know that Latrobe City has a strong and proud history of power generation for the state, but the City is so much more than that. Our ‘Power of Words’ writing competition aims to encourage pride in the City as well as promoting it as a place to visit, through story-telling.
The competition opens in end May and closes end August each year.
Our library collection contains a wide range of items that may help you with your research and writing. Why not visit your local branch or our website for inspiration?
How does Latrobe City inspire you? This year, entrants are asked to write to one of a selection of photographs of Latrobe City. (View the selection of photographs on the Latrobe Library Website).
The competition is proudly supported by Reader’s Emporium.
To enter, download and read the competition guidelines and either complete the paper form and email your entry, or complete the online form on our website and upload your entry.
This year, entrants are asked to write to one of a selection of photographs of Latrobe City. View the photos at the bottom of the page. Take a creative look at Latrobe City and make your prose sing.
- Entries must be submitted in Arial or Times Roman font size 11, double-spaced, printed on one side of the paper only. Story length must not exceed 2000 words. Enter online or download an entry form.
- Complete the entry form and attach it to your story. Do not put your name on the story. Entrants must be aged over 18 years.
- Email your entry to libraryevents@latrobe. vic.gov.au, with the subject header ‘Power of Words’ no later than 5pm (AEST) on Friday 26 August 2022.
- Entries must be submitted in Arial or Times Roman font size 11, double-spaced, printed on one side of the paper only. Story length must not exceed 2000 words. No hand-written entries will be permitted. Entries must not have been published previously and/or have been used to win prizes in any other competitions.
- Our judges will be looking for stories that show originality and imagination, promote Latrobe City and are well structured.
- One prize of $500 will be awarded to the winning story. Certificates will be awarded to highly commended stories. Winning
- or awarded stories may be posted on the Latrobe City Libraries website and printed in an anthology to be published at a later date. The successful entries will be announced at a presentation in late 2022 at a venue and on a date to be confirmed. Only the entrants who have submitted winning or awarded stories will be contacted.
- The judges’ decision is final. Please understand we cannot provide feedback to individual entrants.
There is one prize of $500 for the winning story. Runners-up certificates will be awarded. The winning and selected stories will be published in an anthology to be printed by Reader’s Emporium book shop in Traralgon. Copies of the anthology will be available for purchase at the shop and at Latrobe City Libraries.