This year as part of Meeting Place 2020, Arts Access Australia is inviting d/Deaf and disabled writers to submit a poem, flash fiction, short story or non-fiction work on the Meeting Place theme of ‘Creating Space’.
Up to 10 pieces will be selected for a special edition online magazine that will be published during Meeting Place 2020.
Successful contributions will receive a fee of $150 (inclusive of GST).
Submissions should follow the below criteria for length:
- Poems: up to 40 lines
- Flash fiction / short stories: up to 1500 words
- Non-fiction / personal essays: up to 1500 words
Submissions should also fall within the theme ‘Creating Space’, which is a broad theme and can refer to many things including:
- How do I create space (advocate) for myself and my art? How do I create space for others?
- Creating space for d/Deaf and disabled artists in mainstream arts organisations
- What inspires you – how do you get into your own ‘creating space’?
- Who are we creating space for, and why?
- Creating space for disability leadership in the arts
- Creating intersectional spaces in the arts.
And so much more! We are very open to all angles on the theme, especially acknowledging the short timeframe to submit.
How to apply
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2 September 2020:
- a word document of your work. If you are submitting a poem which requires a certain visual layout/composition, or particular grammar and capitalisation, please also submit a PDF that shows this
- your full name, the state you reside in, and a brief biography
- if relevant, please also state if you are from a Culturally or Linguistically Diverse Background, are Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, or are a Person of Colour
- confirmation that you identify as d/Deaf or disabled. Please note that this opportunity is only open to writers who identify as d/Deaf or disabled.
Submitted works will be reviewed and shortlisted by Arts Access Australia. The final selection will be curated by the magazine editor, Gayle Kennedy.
The magazine will be published on the Meeting Place website and available for download as a PDF.
About Meeting Place 2020
Meeting Place is Australia’s leading annual forum on arts, culture and disability. It is the signature event of Arts Access Australia, and aims to bring together artists, arts-workers, government and other key stakeholders to discuss and debate the latest in accessibility in the arts. The disability-led forum also showcases the work of exceptional d/Deaf and disabled artists from around Australia by providing opportunities for performance, exhibitions, screenings, publishing and more.
Please email any questions to email@example.com with the subject title Magazine Submission. We will endeavour to get back to you within two working days.
You may also call or text to +61 419 201 338. Please note that our phone is currently only monitored Monday to Wednesday.
Closing Date: 2 September 2020