Following our recent Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Aotearoa New Zealand showcases, Kill Your Darlings is excited to continue bringing brilliant new writing from the Asia-Pacific region to new audiences. In June 2021, in partnership with the Diasporic Vietnamese Artists Network's diaCRITICS and and Series Co-Editor Sheila Ngọc Phạm, KYD magazine is for the first time shining a spotlight on brilliant new writing from and about Vietnam.
Who we’re looking for:
- Writers from, living in or with a significant personal connection to Vietnam and/or the Vietnamese diaspora. If you identify with any of the above, we'd love to hear from you!
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit to us.
- A KYD subscription is not required for Showcase submissions (though always encouraged!)
What we're looking for:
- Essay/Commentary (short 1000–1500 words, or long 1500–3000 words) that sheds light on a political or cultural issue, or aspect of life in Vietnam and/or for Vietnamese people that readers in Australia may not understand the nuances or significance of.
- Memoir or personal essay (1000–1500 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity or culture in Vietnam and/or for Vietnamese people.
- Cultural criticism (1000–1500 words) that engages or illuminates a piece of Vietnamese culture, particularly one that readers in Australia may not understand the nuances or significance of.
- Short fiction (1500–3000 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity or culture in Vietnam and/or for Vietnamese people.
Submissions must be new works, written primarily in English. Works translated into English will be accepted if not previously published in English. Unfortunately KYD does not have the capacity to provide translation.
Please note that we do not accept poetry, audio/video or artwork submissions.
Note: Both pitches and completed pieces will be accepted. If submitting a pitch, please include a short description of the proposed article and length. (Further tips on crafting a strong pitch can be found here.) We prefer pitches for non-fiction and completed pieces for fiction.
All published work will be paid at KYD's standard contributor rate (min. A$300, negotiable for 1 x longer feature essay)
For more information, contact KYD editor Alan Vaarwerk at email@example.com.