Following our recent Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia and Aotearoa New Zealand showcases, Kill Your Darlings is excited to continue sharing brilliant new writing from the Asia-Pacific region with new audiences. In October 2021, in partnership with Talanoa and co-edited by Emele Ugavule, KYD magazine is shining a spotlight on brilliant new writing from and about the Oceania region.
Who we’re looking for:
- Writers from, living in or with a significant personal connection to Oceania and/or the Pacific Islands. We define Oceania as the islands of the central and southern Pacific, including Melanesia, Polynesia, Micronesia, French Polynesia and Australasia. If you identify with any of the above, we’d love to hear from you!
- Kill Your Darlings is proud to publish writers at varying stages of their careers, from new and emerging voices to established and well-known writers. We encourage writers from diverse backgrounds and at all levels of experience to pitch and submit their work.
- A KYD subscription is not required to pitch or submit your work to this Showcase.
What we’re looking for:
- Essay/Commentary (short 1200–1500 words, or long 2000–3000 words) that sheds light on a political or cultural issue, or aspect of life in Oceania and/or for Oceanic people that readers in Australia may not understand the nuances or significance of.
- Memoir or personal essay (1200–1500 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity or culture in Oceania and/or for Oceanic people.
- Cultural criticism (1200–1500 words) that engages or illuminates a piece of Oceanic culture, particularly one that readers in Australia may not understand the nuances or significance of.
- Short fiction (1500–3000 words) that reflects or engages with any aspect of life, identity or culture in Oceania and/or for Oceanic people.
Submissions must be new works, written primarily in English, though we encourage writers to incorporate their own language into their work. Full pieces in translation will be accepted if not previously published in English. Unfortunately KYD does not have the capacity to provide translation.
Please note that we do not accept poetry, audio/video or artwork submissions.
Note: Both pitches and completed pieces will be accepted. If submitting a pitch, please include a short description of the proposed article and length. (Further tips on crafting a strong pitch can be found here.)
All published work will be paid at KYD’s standard contributor rate (min. A$300, negotiable for 1 x longer feature essay at editors’ discretion)
For more information, contact KYD editor Alan Vaarwerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit Kill Your Darlings’ Submittable page at: https://killyourdarlings.submittable.com/submit/199481/kill-your-darlings-oceania-showcase