NEW Paid Summer Internship Program
The Hachette Australia Summer Internship Program provides both a broad understanding of the trade publishing business and a deep dive into how the various departments within a commercial publishing house works together to take books to market – and ultimately into the hands of readers.
Applications open: Monday 24 August 2020
Applications close: Wednesday 30 September 2020
Internship begins: Monday 2 November 2020
Internship ends: Friday 26 February 2021
Remuneration: $50,000 pro-rata (may also include university credit if applicable)
Hours: Full-time (38 hours per week including some after hours work involved attending events, as required)
Location: Hachette Australia, Level 17/207 Kent Street, Sydney, NSW (with flexibility to keep within official guidelines for working in the CBD during COVID-19).
Eligibility: Open to all Australian citizens (over 18 years of age), with a genuine passion for books and keen interest in establishing a career in publishing are welcome to apply. No formal qualifications are required and Hachette Australia believes in equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion.
Application process: Applications will only be accepted via firstname.lastname@example.org and must include a CV and letter of interest, plus details of any university internship agreement and relevant course accreditation. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview in October 2020.
Hachette Australia will be holding a virtual event for prospective interns and people interested to learn more about working in publishing in mid-September. Register here.
The Summer Internship Program includes:
- Immersion in the sales, marketing, publicity, product, production, and editorial departments
- Financial training by the Finance Director
- Attending the key decision-making departmental meetings at least once, and major cross-functional meetings including acquisitions/covers meeting, and the monthly launch meeting.
- Accompanying a field sales manager on the road visiting and pitching titles to bookshops
- Attending a head office bookseller presentation
- Attending an author event with a publicist
- A visit to ADS (Central Coast warehouse), pending Covid-19 restrictions
More information: https://www.hachette.com.au/careers/