Submissions Open January 20 – March 28th, 2022
Night is falling, amplifying the stillness of the woods. There are several whispers calling your name, and whoever is watching you doesn’t want you to leave. The looming threat is quite common in one of the most chilling subgenres of horror: folk horror.
The genre blends the themes of horror and folklore to explore terror, alienation, displacement, and a sense of the other. Folk horror invokes fear using the elements of folklore. The stories are characterized by rural settings and themes of isolation, religion, nature’s power, and the darkness of the rural landscape. These stories are often focused on naive outsiders coming up against these forces.
The submissions are open for THEIR GHOULISH REPUTATION, an anthology of Folk Horror. Short horror stories based on folk tales.
What we are looking for:
- Rural settings
- Cult Creeps
- Mythological Horror
- Weird Horror
- Cosmic Horror
- Horror of real people
- Ghouls, witches, basically everything that makes a folklore chilling.
- Diverse set of characters.
- Strong female characters (We mean it. Please don’t make the heroine a weak link. Let her take charge and fight, don’t just make her scream “Who’s there?”)
What we don’t accept:
Erotic themes, extreme gore, Homophobia, transphobia, or any derogatory term used toward any culture, race, or sexuality.
- The submissions period is from January 20 – March 28th, 2022. Please submit us your best work to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line should read: Their Ghoulish Reputation Story Submission with (Author Name).
- Word Count: 2500-10000.
- Multiple submissions / Reprints are not allowed.
- Only original stories are accepted. Must own the copyright to your work.
- Make sure your final manuscript is proofread, edited, and formatted properly.
- Submitted story should be double-spaced, font-size 14px and in .doc/.docx format.
- Please include a cover letter containing a title and short description of your manuscript, the word count, and an author bio in the third person with your submission.
Payment of US $25 will be paid to the accepted authors per contract agreement. Each author will get a copy of eBook(.epub, .mobi, .pdf) and Print Book(available in paperback format after two months of the eBook’s release.)
For more information and submissions, visit the Dark Lake Publishing website at: https://darklakepublishing.com/folkhorror.html