Seahorse Victoria has received funding from TGV and the Victorian state govt to develop literary awards for the transgender community of Victoria. Greer McGearey, President of Seahorse, and Jessica Ward are the convenors of the project.
The plan is to have submissions due in June next year (2022) and then to have the awards ceremony in September or October.
It is intended that these awards are community based and we ask that if you are interested in helping with the development, organising and/or running of the awards, to please join us on Zoom for a meeting on Wednesday, 8 December. Those attending this initial Zoom meeting will be able to apply to be part of the Steering Committee for the Victorian Transgender Writers’ Awards. It is unlikely that these will be paid positions, at present, but there is the possibility of remuneration for the future. There is a huge benefit for all members of our community if we can make these awards happen in the most successful way possible.
- Meeting Date: Wednesday 8 December
- RSVP Date: Monday 6 December
- Full meeting information can be downloaded here.
Proposed Rules: The Victorian Transgender Writers’ Awards
- This competition is open to all transgender and non-binary writers who are resident of Victoria, Australia.
- Entry is free.
- Six award categories: Autobiographical and Biographical; Dramatic play/Screenplay; Creative/Short story; Poetry; Junior (U18) writing. Trans allies’ piece: writing from a non-trans person that is trans-themed.
- Prize money to be determined. (We may need to do some fund-raising or obtain some sponsorship. Without having to go into our own pockets, it would be nice to offer perhaps between $50 and $250 for each of these awards).
- Writers may enter more than one category and may submit multiple entries per category.
- All entries must be original pieces of writing that have not been previously published.
- All contributions may be selected for publication in a VT Writer’s Award anthology.
- If there is any profit from the anthology, a profit-sharing arrangement with contributors will be possible.
- Enquiries and submissions to Jessica Ward: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writers workshops and individual feedback upon request.