Each year black&write! offers two Fellowships for unpublished manuscripts by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander writers.
The winning Fellows work closely with black&write! editors to develop their manuscripts for publication. We are proud to work with our publishing partner, Hachette Australia.
black&write! Fellowships are supported by the Australia Council for the Arts.
Two winners will each receive:
- $10,000 prize money
- manuscript development with black&write!
- publication opportunity with Hachette Australia
Fellowship recipients will be expected to work co-operatively with the black&write! editors through to the completion of their manuscripts.
Who can enter?
The black&write! Writing Fellowships are open to all writers (published and unpublished) of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent currently living in Australia. The Fellowships are open to adult fiction, young adult fiction, short story collection, poetry collection and children’s book manuscripts. Entries must include a Confirmation of Aboriginality Form/ Letter of Confirmation with a common seal from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander incorporated community organisation. There is no entry fee.
Please download and read the Entry Guidelines for the full conditions of entry.
- The Fellowships will be awarded by State Library of Queensland on the advice of a judging panel with extensive knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writing.
- Every eligible entrant will receive individual assessment comments on their manuscripts. Due to the number of manuscripts received the judges cannot provide a detailed manuscript appraisal.
- The judges’ decision on the eligibility of an entry will be final. Judges may invite entries for consideration.
- No correspondence will be entered into once the decision has been announced.
- All entries must be kept by State Library as a record and will not be returned to the applicant (including manuscripts and CD/USB submitted for judging).
- State Library reserves the right to:
- not accept any ineligible, incomplete or late entries
- not award a Fellowship during a particular round.
Find out more about submitting to the competition.
If you have any questions, please email black&write! or call 07 3842 9985.
black&write! is supported by the Copyright Agency Cultural Fund, The Lionel & Yvonne Spencer Trust and the Australian Government through the Australia Council, its arts funding and advisory body. We are proud to work with Hachette Australia as the black&write! Fellowship publishing partner.
For more information and submissions, visit the State Library of Queenland website.