Come play with us!
We are looking for play-themed writing for the 12th joanne burns Microlit Awards. Co-hosted by Newcastle Writers Festival and specialist microliterature publisher, Spineless Wonders, this award offers cash prizes and publication. The award will be judged this year by the celebrated and award-winning author, joanne burns and the publication will be edited by internationally renowned microlit expert, Professor Cassandra Atherton.
Send us microfiction or prose poems, up to 200 words, which reflect on some form or aspect of play – whether playful ideas, language or behaviour. You may wish to invoke creativity and the imagination. You may want to play seriously with words. You may like to remember childish play; or conjure recreational pleasure; or revel in irreverence; or debunk received ideas. You may want your microliterature to cavort.
Whatever the case, send us a snapshot from one of microliterature’s many playgrounds. Challenge our sobriety. We welcome submissions that will amuse, amaze and unsettle us. Take us on a journey that will make us see the world anew.
Submissions due by midnight, August 28, 2022.
- Submissions will only be accepted via the Submittable link.
- Entry fee is $15.00 for National category. (Please note: only one submission per entry. There is no limit to the number of entries per person.) Entry for the Hunter category is free. Limit of three submissions per entry.
- Entrants must be over 18 years of age and must be either an Australian citizen (living anywhere) or a person residing in Australia.
- Entries will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript.
- The judge’s decisions will be final. No correspondence will be entered in to.
- Entries are to be no more than 200 words (exclusive of the title).
- Submissions under consideration by another competition or publication or work that has been previously published or awarded will not be accepted.
- By entering this competition, writers grant Spineless Wonders and the Newcastle Writers Festival limited, fee-free, licence to publish their work and/or produce and broadcast it as audio or video. Intellectual Property shall remain with individual author on the understanding that the work not be published elsewhere until after December, 2023.
- The closing date is 28 August, 2022. Entries will be accepted up until midnight AEST. Late entries will not be accepted.
- Results will be announced by February, 2023.
- Spineless Wonders will offer publication to the winner and finalists in its annual anthology. All published entries, including the winner, may be edited.
For more information or to enter, visit the Spineless Wonders website at: www.shortaustralianstories.com.au/2023-nwf-joanne-burns-microlit-award/