Applications are now open for the 2018 Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship.
Now in its seventh year, the Fellowship commemorates the life, ideas and writing of Hazel Rowley (1951–2011) and awards $15,000 to an emerging or established Australian writer to support research and development of a new biographical work.
The Fellowship is open to Australian writers of biography but can also extend to include a writer working on an aspect of cultural or social history. It may be used to fund research or travel, to develop a new proposal, or to progress a manuscript for submission to potential publishers.
Judges will be looking for applicants who demonstrate excellence in the quality of their work, courage in their choice of project, and a passionate engagement with the world of ideas and the way that people live their lives. The subject of the biography needs to be someone who made a demonstrable contribution to society.
How to apply
Applications must be made online by 5pm on Thursday 16 November 2017.
For more information, email Adriane
- Competition closes: 5pm, 16 November 2017
- Shortlist announced: January 2018
- Winner announced: March 2018
- Fellowship: March 2018 – March 2019
Terms and Conditions
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must write in English.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens (living anywhere) or permanent residents of Australia.
- Joint applications for collaborative projects by more than one writer are not eligible.
- The Fellowship will not cover tuition fees, research assistant salary or publishing subsidy.
- Where relevant, the work must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Those shortlisted will be notified in January 2018 and the recipient will be notified in February before the public announcement in March 2018.
- The successful applicant will enter into an agreement to be negotiated with Writers Victoria and the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee. The agreement will cover the project timeline, payment schedule and reporting requirements.
- The Fellowship must be commenced and expended within 12 months of receipt of funds.
- The Fellowship recipient will be required to complete an artistic and financial report (acquittal) halfway through and at the completion of the project.
- The Fellowship will be acknowledged in any publication resulting from the work supported during the Fellowship.
- The Fellowship recipient will be asked to provide two copies of any subsequently published biography or work to the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.