Online Workshop: Writing Relationships for a YA readership: Families, Friends, Foes, and First Loves
Summary:Learn to craft realistic, relatable relationships within your YA novel, from the villain that your main character loves to hate, to the beautiful and brooding character your main character hates to love, and everything in between. This course combines psychology with narrative techniques to teach you how to identify the relationship dynamics that work best for your character and story, as well as how to effectively craft these relationships.
This course will take place online. Detailed instructions for participation will be provided.
You will learn:
• How family—given or found—shapes your character and their worldview.
• The role of friendship in your main character’s life, and how to create fleshed-out, distinct side characters that believably interact with your main character.
• Attachment styles, and how they affect romantic, familial and platonic relationships.
• How to create sizzling chemistry between your romantic leads.
• Villains and antagonists: when do you need one, how to develop their relationship with the main character, and how should their relationship with the main character affect the story?
About Sophie Gonzales
Sophie Gonzales writes young adult queer contemporary fiction with memorable characters, biting wit and endless heart. She is the author of The Law of Inertia and Only Mostly Devastated and Perfect on Paper. If This Gets Out (co-written with Cale Dietrich) was published in December 2021 from Wednesday Books / Macmillan. When she isn’t writing, Sophie can be found performing in musical theatre, ice skating and practicing the piano. She currently lives in Adelaide, Australia.
Not a Member?
Members of Writers Victoria receive up to 37% off the full price of our workshops, seminars and courses. In addition, members have access to a ranger of other discounts and opportunities and receive a subscription to 'The Victorian Writer' magazine. Memberships start from just $50. Find out more about becoming a member here.