Long Course: Refine Your Memoir
Summary:A memoir is much more than just a description of “what happened to me”. Writing an engaging memoir requires a thoughtful excavation of the self, and empathy with your imagined readers. In this workshop, learn to ask yourself the right questions and find the answers, find the best voice for your story, separate the ‘story’ from the ‘situation’ you want to write about, create vivid characters from real people and prepare a persuasive publishing proposal.
You can find details of how Covid-19 restrictions will affect the workshop here: https://writersvictoria.org.au/about-us/covid-19-information/. You are encouraged to wear a mask in the workshop space. The Wheeler Centre’s policy is that close contacts should not attend the building. If you are a close contact of somebody with Covid-19, or have Covid-19 symptoms yourself, please do not attend; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a refund in this situation.
Four Full-Day Workshops (In Person) and Two Seminars (Online):
- Sunday 5 February, 10am-4pm
- Sunday 19 February, 10am-4pm
- Sunday 26 February, 10am-4pm
- Sunday 19 March, 10am-4pm
- Wednesday 15 February, 6.30-8pm
- Wednesday 8 March, 6.30-8pm
You Will Learn:
- about voice – how to find and refine the right "voice" for your memoir
- about situation vs story – how to identify the "story" you want to tell (the insight, the wisdom, the thing you’ve come to say) within the "situation" you are describing
- about characters – how to create vivid "characters" from real people – including yourself
- about research – how to decide which questions to ask and where to find the answers
- about publication – how to write a persuasive publishing proposal for your memoir
About the Tutor:
Dr Sian Prior has been a writer and broadcaster for 30 years. She has been published in newspapers, magazines and literary journals. Sian teaches non-fiction at RMIT and runs online courses in creative non-fiction and writing as therapy. She has written two books, Shy: A Memoir (2014) and Childless: A Story of Freedom and Longing (short-listed for The Age Non-Fiction Book of the Year 2022), both published by Text Publishing.
Not a Member?
Members of Writers Victoria receive up to 37% off the full price of our workshops, seminars and courses. In addition, members have access to a range of other discounts and opportunities and receive a subscription to 'The Victorian Writer' magazine. Memberships start from just $50. Find out more about becoming a member here.
Book early to access our early bird prices! These expire 9 days before the course begins. Please keep in mind that our workshops require a minimum number of participants to run, so booking early also helps ensure that a workshop will go ahead.
Victoria 3000 Australia
Phone: (03) 9917 8463