Refine Your Memoir
Dr Sian Prior
Summary:A memoir is so much more than a description of “what happened to me”. It requires a thoughtful excavation of the self and empathy with your imagined readers. Explore how to find the right voice for your memoir; how to separate story from situation; how to create vivid characters from real people; how to ask the right questions; where to find the answers; and how to prepare a persuasive publishing proposal.
Saturdays 17 September, 15 October, 19 November and 17 December, 10am–4pm
You will learn
- about voice – how to find and refine the right "voice" for your memoir
- about situation vs story – how to identify the "story" you want to tell (the insight, the wisdom, the thing you’ve come to say) within the "situation" you are describing
- about characters – how to create vivid "characters" from real people – including yourself
- about research – how to decide which questions to ask and where to find the answers
- about publication – how to write an persuasive publishing proposal for your memoir
About Dr Sian Prior
Dr Sian Prior has been a writer and broadcaster for 25 years. She has written for newspapers, magazines and literary journals and won awards for her short stories. Sian has taught non-fiction at RMIT and for writers centres around Australia. Her book ‘Shy: A memoir’ was published in 2014.