Applications are now open for the 2016 Hazel Rowley Literary Fellowship.
Now in its fifth year, the fellowship commemorates the life, ideas and writing of Hazel Rowley (1951–2011) and awards $10,000 to an emerging or established Australian writer to support research and development of a new biographical work.
The Fellowship encourages writers to immerse themselves in their subject’s lives and culture.
The fellowship is open to Australian writers of biography but can also extend to include a writer working on an aspect of cultural or social history compatible with Hazel’s own interests. It may be used to fund research or travel, to develop a new proposal or progress a manuscript for submission to potential publishers.
Judges will be looking for applicants who demonstrate excellence in the quality of their work, courage in their choice of project, and a passionate engagement with the world of ideas and the way that people live their lives. The subject of the biography needs to be someone who made a demonstrable contribution to society.
How to apply
Applicants will need to complete an online submission by 16 November 2015.
Terms and conditions
- Applicants must be over 18 years of age.
- Applicants must be Australian citizens (living anywhere) and write in English.
- Joint applications for collaborative projects by more than one writer are not eligible.
- The Fellowship will not cover tuition fees, research assistant salary or publishing subsidy.
- Where relevant, the work must comply with the Australia Council Protocols for Producing Indigenous Australian Writing.
- Those shortlisted will be notified in January 2016 and the recipient will be notified in February before the public announcement in March 2016.
- The successful applicant will enter into an agreement to be negotiated with Writers Victoria and the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee. The agreement will cover the project timeline, payment schedule and reporting requirements.
- The Fellowship must be commenced and expended within 12 months of receipt of funds.
- The Fellowship recipient will be required to complete an artistic and financial report (acquittal) half way through and at the completion of the project.
- The Fellowship recipient will be asked to provide two copies of any subsequently published biography or work to the Hazel Rowley Literary Fund Advisory Committee.
- The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.