Find out how to write well-rounded, believable older characters who can feature as more than just a narrative device. We’ll question ageist assumptions and generalisations, and highlight the ethical considerations of writing about older people, both real and imagined.
You will learn
- how to recognise and question ageist stereotypes
- how to write characters rather than representations
- how to avoid cliché use of older people in your writing
- how to reveal characters through indirect exposition
- about ethical considerations that arise from writing about real people.
About Melanie Joosten
Melanie Joosten works in social policy and is the author of the essay collection ‘A Long Time Coming: Essays on Old Age’. She is also the author of the novels ‘Berlin Syndrome’ and ‘Gravity Well’ and has been named a Sydney Morning Herald Best Young Novelist.
|Event registration fee|
|Concession Member||$ 135.00|