Emerging writers are invited to apply for the 2019 Glenfern Fellowships.
One of the most precious gifts to a writer is a dedicated and secluded space in which to write. Writers Victoria is pleased to offer three emerging writers the use of a Glenfern writers’ studio for a period of three months, thanks to the support of the Grace Marion Wilson Trust.
The 2019 Glenfern Fellowships will afford these authors the time and space to write, as well as the opportunity to be involved in a vibrant community of writers in the historic surroundings of the Glenfern mansion in St Kilda East.
Applications close at 9am, 16 July. Applications will include an outline of the project you intend to work on while at Glenfern Writers’ Studios, as well as support material that may include an extract from the project, examples of your writing, or details of previous publications.
This year's judges will be Leah Kaminsky and Noe Harsel.
Or for more information, email Deanne.
- Open date: 10am, 18 June 2019
- Close date: 9am, 16 July 2019
- Fellowships: 1 October - 31 December 2019
Terms and Conditions
1. Applicants must be 18 or over and be residents of Victoria.
2. Applicants must be financial members of Writers Victoria.
3. Joint applications will be accepted.
4. Applications will be accepted from emerging Victorian writers who have had at least three stories, essays, articles or poems published in a recognised book, magazine, journal or online (excluding personal blogs). Those writers who have had a full-length work published or professionally performed (including books, collections or plays) are not eligible to apply.
5. Preference will be given to writers who haven’t previously received a Grace Marion Wilson Fellowship.
6. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by early August.
7. The Fellowship must be taken up between 1 October and 31 December 2018.
8. Fellowship recipients agree to abide by the terms of the Glenfern Licence Agreement and Code of Conduct.
9. The Fellowships provide access to a non-residential studio space at Glenfern seven days a week. Access hours are 7am to 11pm.
10. Fellowship recipients will be expected to use the studio for writing purposes only and to use the studio for a significant portion of the week.
11. Fellowship recipients agree to provide Writers Victoria with a Victoria Police check before Friday 20 September 2019, to be reimbursed to the Fellow.
12. Glenfern carries public liability insurance, but contents insurance will be the responsibility of each writer.
13. Upon completion of the Fellowship, recipients will be required to complete an evaluation by Monday 27 January 2020.
14. The Fellowship recipient agrees to write and provide Writers Victoria with a 600-word article pertaining to Glenfern for publication in the National Trust magazine, National Trust website, Writers Victoria website or The Victorian Writer magazine.
15. Fellows must acknowledge the support of Glenfern, Writers Victoria, the National Trust (Vic) and the Grace Marion Wilson Trust in any work that is published or produced.
16. The judges’ decision will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.
17. WV staff or Committee of Management members are not eligible to apply.
18. Applications must be submitted through this online form. Emailed applications will not be accepted.
19. Late applications will not be accepted. Please make sure to submit your application by 9am (AEDT) on Tuesday 16 July 2019.