For information on Glenfern Fellowships click here
Writers Victoria is pleased to announce that applications open Tuesday, 1 May for the tenth Grace Marion Wilson Emerging Writers Competition. Short story or creative non-fiction submissions of between 2,000 and 3,000 words are being accepted from emerging Victorian writers with no more than three stories or articles published in a recognised book, magazine or journal.
Winners of each category will receive a $1,000 cash prize, with second prizes of $250 awarded to one runner-up in each category. The first and second prize entries will also be published in the October/November issue of 'The Victorian Writer' magazine.
Best Regional Writer Prize
This year, a $500 prize and publication in the October/November issue of 'The Victorian Writer' will also be awarded to the highest placed Writers Victoria member from regional Victoria in either category (Fiction & Non-Fiction). To be considered for the Best Regional Writer prize, you must be a member of Writers Victoria and live within Victoria, further than 50kms from Melbourne's CBD. Note that the topic of your piece is not restricted to regional Victoria.
- Entries open: Tuesday, 1 May 2018, 10am
- Entries close: Tuesday, 29 May 2018, 4pm
For more information, email Adriane.
Terms & Conditions
1. Applicants must be 18 or over and be residents of Victoria.
2. Work must be between 2000 and 3000 words.
3. Applications must be submitted online in either Word or PDF format; hard copy submissions will not be accepted.
4. Applications will be judged anonymously. Please don’t include your name in the attachment.
5. Applicants must be emerging writers with no more than three stories or articles published in a book, magazine or journal.
6. Entries will be independently judged. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
7. First and second prize entries will be published in a special edition of 'The Victorian Writer' due for publication in October 2018, and agreement for publication is a condition of entry.
8. The Best Regional Writer prize entry will be published in a special edition of 'The Victorian Writer' due for publication in October 2018, and agreement for publication is a condition of entry
9. The entries must not have been published or accepted for publication by a recognised publisher, in print or online. (Please note: this does not include community publications, local independent publications or blogs. If your piece has been published in such a publication you are still eligible to enter the competition.)
10. Winners in our previous competitions (2008–2017 both first and second prizes) are not eligible to re-enter.
11. Entry is free for financial members of Writers Victoria or $20 for non-members.
12. Writers Victoria is unable to accept entries or notify entrants that do not follow entry guidelines.
13. Participants may submit a maximum of one entry per category.
14. WV staff or Committee of Management members are not eligible to apply.
15. To be considered for the Best Regional Writer prize, you must be a member of Writers Victoria and live within Victoria, further than 50kms from Melbourne's CBD.